Search This Blog

Sunday, January 4, 2015

Looking at 2014 and 2015



As a new year rolls in, it's time to look at the resolutions made in the past year. Alas, I fell asleep at the wheel on this one. I'll attempt to do better this year.

So, what to talk about? Let's look at what has happened, and what can be hoped for in the year to come.

I am no longer a Press Ganger. Studying and working were too much for me to keep that schedule going. Our local Press Gang goes on strong without me needing to be there, though I'm always glad to help when I can.

2014 was quite a year for rule changes. The painting/conversion guidelines were a bit odd. In the end, I think that it's mostly going to be the TO's judgement except at the few Privateer events that really matter (Iron Guantlet, Lock and Load).

The death of the “Khador Arc Node” by ruling solves a problem, but creates an exploitable situation that may end up souring folk on the game. Essentially, if a player's unit is not all within command of the leader, then they cannot receive beneficial spells from the friendly 'casters. However, the same rule does not hold true for an opponent who can cast malignant spells on the out of command unit. It's even possible for the opponent to create that circumstance. I can foresee that I would go on tilt when the ruling is used against me.

Lock and Load is growing for the better. Every year has been an improvement on the previous year. I'm looking forward to Lock and Load 2015. I hope that the success that they had in getting people to play the Bodgers games and High Command will translate over into giving the RPG more love. It would be nice if there were enough organized play sessions to meet demand.

I'm disappointed that I didn't play in any tournaments at Lock and Load. I was at work both times that the schedule went live. I'll probably give this year a pass as well, unless the Old Guys Pro-Tour makes an appearance. There will always be a part of me that hopes we will see a less grueling tournament schedule.

A few year's ago, cameras started hitting the scene. It really affected the 40k side of the street, as it showed players that were cheating in a format that really called to Win at All Cost (WAAC) players. This was the year that enough footage made it out to the masses to present questionable situations. It also showed how ugly the community can get.

I can only hope that more respected voices of the Warmachine community take a lead on such things. How many podcasts have briefly touched on the issue with an immediate deferment of willingness to talk about it? Oz Machine really handled the issue of video taped cheating well, and I hope that it will serve as a template of how to properly handle such issues in the future.

There are a lot of good things on the horizon. Privateer's models are getting better and better; Dozer and Smig, Bradigus, Jaga Jaga... So good. The community is looking at improving some of the problems that organized play can have. (Check out this idea for fixing Journeyman leagues: http://museonminis.com/forums/index.php?topic=4639.msg82585#msg82585) It will be great to see how it all unfolds.

No comments:

Post a Comment